Thursday, April 8, 2010

Bento #1 - "Meat" loaf

Yesterday we started our "Bento Adventure" with an old favorite, reinvented. We love our comfort-foods, and one day while considering dinner I had a sudden urge to make meatloaf. I don't know why because I HATED it as a girl, but there it was... one of those irrational, unfounded cravings that just can't be ignored. So I sat & schemed for a few days, and finally reinvented meatloaf - sans meat, and sans gluten. It was an instant hit, and has been repeated & tweaked dozens of times.

Today it got a facelift, thanks to our beloved patty-pans. For our very first bento lunch, the kids begged for mini-meatloaves. We prepared them & "frosted" them with ketchup, before laying them on a bed of corn, peas & carrots. The top layer was filled with strawberries and grapes.

The verdict? Yep, we like our meatloaf even MORE in miniature! It baked up in 15 minutes, and we were able to use the "leftovers" to create a new idea that we'll be enjoying for tomorrow's lunch. Two meals out of one quick baking adventure almost seems too good to be true! Our star pans were just a little too big for the bentos though - while my son's larger container was no problem, had we needed to use our lids my daughter & I would have never gotten it on properly without squishing our stars. Time to consider some silicone baking cups!

No comments: