Friday, October 1, 2010

Old Favorites, Rediscovered


My kids LOVE carrots. They will eat them any way I serve them. Cooked, baked, mashed, raw, shredded... they all disappear faster than I can prepare them. So I've never really understood why my kids didn't like carrot-raisin salad. It's one of my favorite summertime dishes, and I love how quick & easy it is to toss together. This summer I was craving it, and decided that it just didn't matter if I had to eat an entire bowlful myself, I was going to make some.

As I was reaching for the raisins, our giant bag of dried cranberries caught my eye. I tend to prefer cranberries in just about everything, and since this was just for me I figured "why not?" and dumped a healthy serving of them in instead of the raisins. Since it was hot & I didn't feel like eating much, I also tossed a handful of walnuts in for protein. The next thing I knew, I had two kids begging to be allowed to try my colorful lunch. And they DEVOURED it! We have enjoyed our redesigned carrot-raisin salad at least a dozen times this summer, and it's now one of our favorite side dishes. The cranberries add a pretty jewel-like sparkle to what was otherwise a fairly "blah" salad, and the walnuts add enough protein that this can stand-alone or be enjoyed alongside just about any meal. And just like its' original recipe, it whips up in less than five minutes.

Today's lunch is a pretty dish of our carrot-CRAISIN salad, seasoned parmesan-rice with the last of our garden peppers, and a shaped hard-boiled egg. Everything was quick & easy to put together, and full of antioxidants & vitamin A. Hooray for rediscovered recipes!

2 comments:

Daxx's said...

Just stumbled across this now - -and can you post your full recipe for it?

homeschoolmama said...

Well.. these are kind of toss-everything-together type recipes, but for the carrot-raisin salad you'll want to mix 6 grated carrots with about 1/2 cup of craisins & enough mayonnaise to make everything blend together; maybe 1/4 cup?

For the rice, I took 4 cups rice & mixed in 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, (it adds the bright yellow color, tons of protein & a "cheese-like" flavor) a teaspoon of garlic, 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper, and one-half of a diced green pepper & about 6 diced scallions. I'm afraid that these measurements are approximate; rice-dishes tend to be rather helter-skelter around here.