Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mad Scientist Cookies

Have you ever woken up ready to completely recreate a recipe? I mean a recreation so severe, so PROFOUND that you'd have to be absolutely inescapably mad to try it?

I found a lovely recipe for banana cookies quite some time ago. I'm afraid I don't even remember where I got the original from but it's been years since I first baked them. And to be honest the first time I tried them, while they were GOOD they weren't necessarily GREAT. They were more "good, but could be better." They needed a little something, but I'd never really gotten around to experimenting with them. This morning however, knowing that we needed to stay healthy after yesterday's "junk food" I woke up craving cookies. Naturally. So there was really only one thing to do... redefine cookies as they're known.

This cookie began with an absolutely mad concept. I wanted a cookie with no sugar, no flour, and no eggs. No kidding. From there I just went a little crazy. My son stood behind me shaking his head as I tossed things into the mixing-bowl, laughing at the number of baking "rules" I was breaking. After giving them PLENTY of room for spreading-out on the cookie sheets, I tossed them into the oven, crossed my fingers, and prayed that I wouldn't be spending the afternoon cleaning the oven.

What came out was a moist, perfectly round little ball of utter bliss. These are SO moist, SO rich, and so DELICIOUS! I had to be a little mad to create them, but YOU would be mad not to try them. They're seriously that good. Even better, they're good FOR you! Just look at those ingredients. Healthy, awesome, perfectly acceptable for breakfast... Mad Scientist Cookies!

You'll need:
1/2 cup fresh dates
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup flax
3 large bananas
2 cups gluten-free oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup carob-chips

Preheat the oven to 350F. Take the dates, sunflower seeds & flax, and run through the food processor until everything is ground together. In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas, then add in the ground date-nut mixture. Slowly mix in the oats, and then the remaining ingredients. Roll into 2-Tablespoon size balls, and place on unprepared cookie sheets. Bake for 15 minutes... they'll still be soft, but that's okay they're done. This makes ABOUT two dozen wonderful, delicious, absolutely MAD cookies. Go ahead, try them... I dare you.

Psst... for anyone interested, I just calculated the nutritional content for these babies. For TWO 2Tbsp cookies, you will get about:
341 calories
16.85g fat
8.9g saturated fat
4.1g polyunsaturated fat
2.g monounsaturated fat
491mg potassium
61g carbohydrates
8g fiber
10g sugar
9g protein

1% Vitamin A
16% Vitamin B6
5% Vitamin C
11% Vitamin E
8% Calcium
25% Copper
11% Folate
14% Iron
30% Magnesium
97% Manganese
6% Niacin
8% Pantothenic Acid
27% Phosphorous
6% Riboflavin
10% Selenium
29% Thiamin
18% Zinc

31.2mg Phytosterols
1633mg Omega-3
2490mg Omega-6

WOW! To quote my kids, "I think I'm gonna have to make these... a whole bunch more times!"

No comments: