Friday, October 14, 2011

Pumpkin Custard - reinvented

Some days your plans don't work out quite the way you'd hoped. When that happens, you have two choices... pout, or make the most of your situation.

As I cleaned out the bottom section of my freezer last week in preparation for pureeing pumpkins, (an odd sight I'm sure, as it involves my dangling bodily from the edge of the freezer, legs waving precariously in the air behind me as I try to keep myself from tipping into the freezer) I discovered several frozen quarts of pumpkin puree - from LAST fall. Not being one to waste food, but knowing it's use-it-or-lose-it time for these delicious baggies, I grabbed a few & popped them into the fridge to thaw.

This morning I woke to thawed pumpkin in the fridge, visions of pumpkin custard in my head... and a faulty memory. As I danced about the kitchen gathering my ingredients to whip up a delicious warm surprise for the kids, everything came to a screeching halt when the can of what I THOUGHT was evaporated milk in my cupboard ended up being the light coconut milk I'd accidentally picked up thinking it was full-fat. Whoops.

My stomach informed me that it was still breakfast time, evaporated milk or not, and I stopped for a minute to reconsider my recipe. It's *my* recipe after all, so why can't I alter it? So with a tweak here, a substitution there, and some flax thrown in... just because I could, I reinvented one of my favorite fall breakfast recipes.

THIS time for this recipe I used:
2 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup brown sugar (go dark, or go home... it's all about the rich flavor!)
3 eggs
1 can light coconut milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
Blend all ingredients together, and pour into a 7x11" (or 8" square) glass baking dish. Bake at 350F for 70 minutes, or until knife comes out clean.

It was... AMAZING! The coconut added a wonderful richness, and was a perfect pairing with the pumpkin. The flax added just a hint of nuttiness, and because of the natural sweetness of coconut I was able to cut the sugar in half from my original recipe. My kids added a tiny scoop of ice cream to theirs, but I had mine with a big mug of tea. Either way, this is definitely a repeat-recipe!

Enjoy!

No comments: