Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Oatmeal Scones: reinventing the wheel

After more than six years of being gluten-free, I am learning... that I'm still just learning.

I THOUGHT that the best way to bake was to create just the right combination of flours, taking the consistency & elasticity of each flour into consideration. I THOUGHT that the more flours one used, the better.

Then along came a store-bought baguette.

Against The Grain makes a baguette that is absolutely perfect for making submarine sandwiches. This past weekend, my son and I had our first subs in over 6 years... and they were everything we'd been dreaming of. My husband & daughter who CAN eat gluten concurred - this is the real deal. So naturally, I was curious. What was IN them that made them so tasty? The answer was... practically nothing. There was only ONE flour used! Tapioca starch.

This morning, after canning lemon marmalade until midnight, I wanted to try my new topping. And what better to use, than an oat scone? I KNOW I have a recipe here somewhere and that it's positively amazing, but even after searching my backup recipe cards on the computer, I just couldn't find my recipe. So thinking of these single-flour baguettes, I decided to try something daring. I threw out everything I knew about gluten-free baking, rolled up my sleeves, and got creative.

The result is a low-ingredient, YUMMY scone that was just a little sweet to offset the intense sourness of the lemon marmalade... and it had just the right stick-to-your-ribs texture that makes an oat scone perfect for breakfast alongside a strong cup of tea.

To make 8 of these amazing little pretties, you will need:

1 1/3 cup gluten-free oat flour (I grind my oats in a coffee grinder because it's SO much cheaper than prepared oat flour!)
1 1/3 cup gluten free oats
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup brown sugar (don't pack it - less sugar that way!)
1/2 cup applesauce (homemade works perfectly!)
2/3 cup buttermilk substitute (I used 1 Tbsp lemon juice to 2/3 cup almond milk...)

Preheat your oven to 400F. Mix together the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients one by one, mixing until the dough comes together. Turn out onto a well-floured surface, (I used rice flour... because it's cheap) and pat into a 3/4" circle. Using your pizza-wheel, cut into wedges and place on a parchment/silpat-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15+ minutes or until tops are slightly browned, and sound solid when you tap on them. Serve HOT with your favorite toppings.

Enjoy!

No comments: